Camelback Mountain is an absolutely beautiful mountain to hike. When you get to the top, you are 2,704 feet about sea level. To reach the summit, you have to hike about 1,200 feet in elevation and will have traveled a distance of about 1.2 miles. It takes anywhere from 16 min to about an hour to hike up the mountain.
When you get to the top, you can see 360 degrees around Phoenix and the surrounding suburbs. Many people take pictures at the top. They also tend to linger too long…
Accordingly, here are some tips to remember when you hike Camelback Mountain.
1. Dress appropriately.
2. Bring enough water. Drink while going up and while hiking down. A 12-ounce bottle isn’t enough.
3. Wear earbuds or turn off the music. No one else wants to hear your music.
4. Hikers going up the mountain have the right-of-way. This means that when you are going down and reach a narrow area, move out of the way and let the people hiking up, go through the narrow area first.
5. If you take a break, move off the path so other hikers can get by.
6. At the top, take a short break, take your pictures, drink your water and hike down as quickly and as safely as possible. Why do you think the parking lot is always full? People are lingering too long…
7. Don’t litter.
8. Have fun.
It is great exercise, a great place to meet friends for an activity and a great place to meet new people. Following these few tips will make it even better.